Sunday, April 01, 2007
For a while now I've had many issues I've wanted to report, but most of the time I will have to link to the originator of the information. Whether it's because of plagiarism issues or because of the Search Engine penalties for duplicate content.. I've always found myself to be reluctant to link to an outbouding link.

Another issue, is the fact that most websites on the internet don't share the same values as me or many of my readers. So it might contain advertisements to lewd sites or other sites unbecoming of a Muslim who fears his Lord to visit.

What do you do then?

With Search Engines, if I don't necessarily agree with a site or I don't want to give my link to it any value, I can easily add a rel="nofollow" tag within the link tag. That way the Search Engine will know that I am not related to the site and won't count my linking to it as a voucher for its credibility or relevance to my site.

I sometimes will copy the whole article's text and then throw a link at the bottom showing the credits, but that's really rare like I did for a post on my Migraine Blog about the Migraine Gadget but it was not an issue since the site I was linking to was the manufacturer of the gadget and thus wasn't really offensive in any way.

If any of you have any ideas, let me know... especially if you're a web developer or admin a website.

My websites are mostly informational and they do make me a very small amount of money (mainly just to ay the phone bill I guess) but thats from the Google Ads that show up on the top and bottom of the page.


Advertisements

Another piece of feedback I would like, is if anybody sees an ad that is un-Islamic or offensive (as sometimes there are links to Christian Da`wah sites or Personals /Dating sites) please let me know of the URL (website address http://www.BlahBlahBlah.com) that way I can put it through the ad filter and it won't be shown.
 
posted by Abu Miftah at 1:17 AM | Permalink |
2 Comments:


  • At Monday, April 02, 2007 12:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    As salaamu alaykum akhee,
    Brother Aqeel Walker who posts on salafitalk.net sent me this email today morning:-

    "Al-hamdulillah we just spoke with Shaikh Abdul-Majeed As-Sabayyal (hafidhahullaah) for the week dars explaining the book Al-Usool min 'Ilm il-Usool and after the dars I asked the Shaikh regarding the question I asked him during the previous week's lesson about using statements of our scholars on the internet that we find on "non"-salafee websites. I asked in regard to what he said previously is it neccessary that we also mention, if we circulate or translate such statements for others, to mention that the website we took it from is not salafee or deviant?

    The Shaikh said in this case, yes we should not mention that website so that people don't become confused about it thinking that it is a praiseworthy source, or we should mention that it is not a salafee source. He said even though it's permissible to use the statements and information from our scholars that we find on such astray websites, it is better that we stick to the more reliable websites, the ones where there is more correct information than incorrect information. He said the nonsalafee websites are of two types: either they are ones where you can distinguish the deviant information on them from the correct information, and the second type are the ones where the information is all mixed up and it is difficult to distinguish the truth from the falsehood on them.

    He said nevertheless, the known salafee websites where the truth is more than the mistakes are numerous so it's best to benefit from them.

    This is a summary of what he said, jazaahullaahu khayran, and the recording of the entire is session is with the brothers at Masjid Ibad-ur-Rahmaan in Marietta, GA. May Allaah reward the Imam Sa'id and the rest of the brothers there tremendously for hosting such beneficial sessions.

    Al-hamdulillaah I hope this helps clarify the matter." End of Brother Aqeel's email.

    Hope this helps. I guess u can have a disclaimer on ur website and everytime u link to some website; u can have a disclaimer that u are just recommending that particular article and not all the other articles by that author or website.

    wa salaamu alaykum,
    Sajid
    Pune, India.

     
  • At Saturday, April 07, 2007 10:04:00 PM, Blogger Abu Miftah

    Jazakallaahu Khairan akhi Sajid...

    Your comment was very informative, but my main issue is not with Islamic Sites that might belog to deviants or even people whose manhaj is doubtful...

    The issue is with references on matters that have nothing to do with Religion.

    As you know I have a Migraine Blog and this Tech Blog...

    Every once in a while, I might want to post an informative link that is used as a reference, but a lot of the times the site might have other content on it (that I do not know of) that might not agree with our Islamic Values...

    Perhaps the explanation is a bit clearer now?

     
Subscribe in NewsGator Online Add to Google Add to My AOL
Subscribe in FeedLounge Add An American in Saudi Arabia to Newsburst from CNET News.com Add to netvibes Subscribe in Bloglines
iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator Globe Of Blogs